Thursday, July 30, 2009

Not So Concealed Message


There was a woman in New Jersey (I think) who got so frustrated with her children while driving in the car that she made them get out and walk home. That mother ended up in big trouble with the law. I think she even got to spend some time in jail. If we lived somewhere other than Alaska, at this phase of my parenting life, I suppose I would be in big trouble as well. For I am a firm believer in the "Friendship March".

Do you see these two loving children? During the 11 mile car ride from our house to town they were anything but loving. As the driver, I was subjected to each and every whining phrase as it escalated to touching and then to poking. It was distracting and aggravating! Finally, the ultimate bomb was hurled, "DeeJay told me that you are not really my brother."

I pulled the car into the high school parking lot, made them get out at the trail head of the path that leads directly to Mema's Shack, and told them, in not such a calm voice to get out. Readers might think this is crewel or even dangerous punishment. Be assured, I spy on them.

Sure enough by the end of the first block they were joyfully picking flowers together and by the second block they were gleefully holding hands. By the time they arrived at Mema's they were working together in their fairy houses and forts and calling me at 8pm to tell me about how they had sabotaged someone from taking all the water from the creek. "The little creek creatures can not live without the water, so we stopped it!" I love hearing them talk in terms of their team!


Because Vince was working, DeeJay and Willie were at their friends house, and Falcom and Marina were overnighting at Mema's, I was going to be alone. I decided to shelve making pork chops for something I would enjoy eating. Sushi. Who should come over to enjoy a little sushi with me? Suzanne. And lucky she could because I planned a fine sushi meal and I didn't have wrappers. Suzanne did. Whew! I was too cheap to buy an avocado for our sushi and instead bought Chinese Meat Links (made in Canada) so that I could make some of my sushi Saipan style.

It was a delicious sunshine dinner where we were able to catch up on many topics that are not appropriate for family dinners. It was a real treat.

There is one topic that I was going to try to write into this post without actually writing it in...I was going to conceal it within the text so that my friend Laurie could hear what was happening without my having to give away details, but it is too difficult! And for historians of my life, which Laurie is one, she will laugh at the ultimate Karmic turn around. Here goes.

Someone I love in Hawaii is in the middle of a lawsuit against her former employer. The conversation started with questions to me about this lawsuit, but I'm no lawyer and I'm sure not familiar with any of that, but the lawsuit was only the beginning of the true story my loved one wanted to share with me. It seems that this person who I love in Hawaii has been getting phone calls from her Auntie in Saipan, the one who used to come to my loved ones house in CK ten years ago and parade around her children in their designer clothes and Prada handbags (yes real ones for 12 year olds) and brag about trips to Hong Kong and the spiritual benefits of not having to put her children in public school. She would do this even though my loved one didn't even have rice or meat for her young family. Auntie was never able to help my loved ones family. Oh, I should not sound like she was cruel. She did her part at Christmas when they would go to her house for a bar-b-que. Auntie had a job at a garment factory, she was in management. She was very important.

Now, in the ultimate turn of events, this Auntie has caught wind of the lawsuit and is calling Hawaii bi-weekly to see if my loved one has won her case yet, as Auntie is totally rock bottom broke. She is going to borrow money from R... Oh, I know. The island clan system is complex and convoluted and as a white girl I could never understand the full impact of these family ties. But in my heart I am saying Ha! I remember so clearly a phone call I got from my loved one. "Auntie is not happy that I sent Falcom to be with you." Whatever... I love Karma...

No comments: