Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July Weekend

We are having quite a week around here. We have been blessed with a visit from Grandpa Tom, Vince's Dad and Phyllis's brother, who came up to stay with her and accompany her back to Cleveland. Grandpa Tom has been educating Marina on many of the things that her inability to read a newspaper and television free lifestyle have deprived her of. For instance, the chimpanzee that ripped the ladies face off. How intriguing to a 6 year old! How has she managed until now without this information? The poor taxpayers of Cleveland having to pay for THAT! There is so much more to education than sitting in a classroom.

Unlike most people who travel great distances to arrive in Alaska, they have no desire to do anything but sit and look out the window. This doesn't surprise me really, after all Phyllis has been through these past couple of months. This flower bouquet arrived on Thursday from Vince's brother Tommy. It had been a week since Chuck's Memorial and really touched Phyllis's heart. (Notice Tom in the background reading the paper.)

All this non action is making Vince a little stir crazy because the sun has been out...and hot!...and we have not been fishing or camping or hiking. I will say that Vince is really showing how he has grown up and has not complained a bit. Having the four wheeler has helped his active heart and he has found many uses for it this week. This includes taking Falcom on a long early morning adventure. When Falcom was a very small boy and I was pregnant with Marina they used to take long hikes to 'the spooky forest' which was a forested lot down the street from us on Rangeview Ave. Both father and son were happy when they returned.
Picture courtesy of Valda, taken on one of Vince's project excursions.
On the Fourth of July we decided to forgo the American Legion Kid Carnival. I mean really, how can a 10 year old still enjoy that fishing game? Or a 16 year old enjoy that putting game? I told them I would give them $2 each if they would not complain that we were not at that annual '$50 out of Mom's wallet for a pocket full of cheap plastic objects and penny candy' event. They were happy to agree and I saved $44.


Instead, we went to Cindi and Paul's house in Ninilchik for a bar-be-que. Paul's family is also from West Virgina and here for a visit. Vince, with a little too much time on his hands, decided to learn how to deep fry a turkey. Yes, the turkey tasted fantastic! I, after participating in yet another day of over the top gluttony, decided it was time to get back to the WW.

Mema and I came back to town
early with Cindi, Carri, and Mike M. to participate in the parade. Irene, Mema, Carri, and I walked with the PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Gays and Lesbians) group and Cindi and Mike walked with the Red Hot Mama's. (Everyone asked where the kids were. I tried to explain how I was elated for them not to have a grocery bag full of candy. They understood.)

It is interesting to me how, when I decided to support PFLAG in the parade, I didn't think much of it. I mean really, what is the big deal? I've marched in this parade a half dozen times. But then, when I walked out onto Pioneer Avenue, in such a small town parade, where I knew at least a third of the people watching the festivities, I caught the smallest glimpse of what it is like to come out of the closet as an openly gay or lesbian person in rural America. There were sections of the parade route that were cheering wildly for us, and parts of the parade route that were silent in Fundamentalist Christian surprise that the gays were walking down the road together. I mean really, first Palin resigns out of no where and now this! But then, the shock on their faces to see Irene and Me and my Mom, three notoriously straight family women! That was kind of funny. To find out more information about PFLAG you can click on http://www.pflag.org/

As parade marchers, Irene and I had a good laugh at the irony of a woman selling pit bull dog puppies at an event filled with screaming, hyper on candy, children. We also saw the irony of some poor person in an ambulance who had to get through the parade to get to the hospital, the swollen Homer streets full of onlookers thinking it was just another emergency vehicle in the parade.

Sunday found the family back at the house blistering under a hot sun. I did two loads of wash and hung them from our deck lines for everyone on the road to see. Phyllis and I laughed at the thought of our grandmother's turning in their graves at the thought of our personal items hanging for the world to see. She really laughed when I told her I had now officially turned our home into the hillbilly palace it was meant to be.

After a while, the kids approached us about taking them somewhere they could swim in cold water. They were sweating for heavens sake. (When does this happen? Certainly not in their living memory.) I suggested a trip to the beach when Falcom said, "What about the lake that is right there." pointing to our neighbors house. Great thinking! After a phone call and a friendly invitation, we were off walking down the road to Gabi and Konrad's house for a dip in their newly expanded lake.

Readers living outside Alaska may not realize how unusual it is to have a lake in our area that a person could actually swim in without dying of hypothermia. This lake is relatively shallow and not shaded. It is refreshing without being cold. Just what a lake should be! What a terrific place! There were dragon flys and lilly pads and frogs. Sandhill cranes stood on the far bank wondering what was going on in their usually peaceful home.

The kids then spent 4 hours playing in that lake. I roasted in the sun and now have a juicy sunburn (which I am loving! as this has not happened to me in a few years). After chatting with me for an hour or so, Gabi invited us up to her place for a slice of Swiss strudel when the kids were done swimming. How beautiful! Her place is such a gorgeous haven! I could not wait to go up and have a delightful treat. I also could not extract these children out of the water! Two hours after that Vince showed up and got in the lake with the kids while Gabi brought the strudel to us.

Swimming in this lake has been the one of our best days of summer so far. Thank you Gabi and Konrad for sharing your garden with us!

Vince got the kids to come out of the water (after another hour) and to come home so that we could then go to Glenn's for dinner. We had a wonderful visit with the Radeke's and their extended family who are here for the summer. (I forgot my camera)

Now, Monday morning, Vince is forcing the family to go out to the Spit with him to see the sights. Falcom is sick and sleeping on the bedroom floor while I eek out the time to do this blogging.

The Greear Clan returns to Cleveland on Wednesday, I return to Weight Watchers tonight!

No comments: