Sunday, July 12, 2009

Big News

Willie got a job!


Willie is now a proud employee of McDonald's of Alaska. I know, I know, I know what you are thinking; "Ew...McDonald's? He is going to come home every night smelling like a french fry." I know. But this job has a few wonderful aspects to it that can not be overlooked.


  • They were hiring. The recession has hit Homer Alaska and jobs that normally would be open and begging for help are not spending their money on additional employees now. In fact, DeeJay has been called off at Fritz Creek Garden until work picks back up and on the Spit the fish packers are running full crews (that never happens).


    • Willie is my most anxious son and needed a real job application to fill out and a real job interview to succeed at to build his bank of self confidence. Last summer he worked at the garden because DeeJay got him a job there. He is smart and doesn't really think of that as something he did for himself.

      After his first day at work I told him, "I am so proud of you, you did this all on your own." He said, "No I didn't Mom, you told me to go there. You drove me there." I said, "You filled out the application. You spoke up at the interview. You made this happen." He thought about it for a minute and then got a huge smile on his face. On that same self confidence building note: at McDonald's, Willie has the opportunity to look great in comparison to.... OK, you get my drift.

    • We all started out at 'awful' jobs. They serve a valuable role in helping us aim higher. If your parent never said to you, "You want to work at McDonald's the rest of your life?" You missed out on an important life lesson, that's for sure.
      • Congratulations Willie! I'll take a diet coke with that Big Mac and Fries, please.

        No comments: