Saturday, March 13, 2010

DeeJay is 19



Nineteen years old. How did that happen? I was hugging him yesterday telling him that I remember when he was 8 and that if he would have asked me then if I thought he'd ever turn 19 I would have said, "NO!"

What a huge year this is for him. Graduating high school. Applying for secondary education. Applying for scholarships. Hard to believe how far he has come!

Maygen and Iris came over early in the day and began cooking DeeJay's food of choice: Chicken Pesole with cabbage salad, shrimp, soda, sparkling cider and chips.

Family friends came over to celebrate with him. All of his buddies were at work, including his brother Willie.
We all hung out and enjoyed the volcano cake that Marina made for him ALL BY HERSELF! Yea, she had a little help brainstorming the correct pans to use and turning on the stove, but other than that she has mastered the box cake! She had the genius idea of encrusting it with Magic Shell. She is an artist!

We laughed and talked and then when Brandon got off work from Safeway he picked up Willie and the two of them came home. They ate some cake and then all three drove to town. Why? To go to Safeway and pick up chips and sodas.

Vince and Glen were sitting by the fire when the boys left. Vince said, "What is wrong with them? Didn't Brandon just leave Safeway? Couldn't they have planned better? What a bunch of dorks!" And then Glen, "There is nothing in town for them but trouble!"

I couldn't believe those two men! How quickly a parent can forget that at this same time in their own lives they were driving around for no apparent reason, looking for friends, looking to hang out...with girls. I don't remember the specifics of my 19th birthday. I don't think I was sweet and hanging out with my grandmother as she gave me a jar of foot powder for my birthday.

We love you DeeJay and are excited to see what the next ten years bring!



Willie using physical artistry to express how his life working at McDonald's feels.

1 comment: