Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I've Got My Freak'on for Recon"


The title of the post is in reference to my families new favorite TV show. The Penguins of Madagascar. It is wonderful that we now can watch the Penguins of Madagascar while we are hanging out in Anchorage. I can not remember the last time the four of us sat down to a TV show that we all enjoy and can laugh hard at. In fact, I can't even remember the last time we all sat down to watch TV together.

This trip to Anchorage was especially kid-centric with shopping trips and excursions revolving around things that they like. Are we on the road to spoilage? Let's consider;

There is the pool at the hotel that I let them go to whenever they asked. It is fun for them. It is something they don't get to do often so it is especially great. It is also hot and humid in the pool room and so when I am sitting in there watching them I can mildly teleport myself to equatorial climates. Today Falcom told me he thinks I must be part lizard. I asked him if my new name was Stevie. (Yet another Madagascar reference, for those of you unaware.)

There is Toys-R-Us which we only went to because Grandpa and Grammy sent a juicy gift card. It is nice to see Falcom starting to get the idea of money and it's value. He actually was doing a little basic math trying to decide what to buy. In short, I think we can notch that hour and a half up on the Alaska State Educational Guidelines and consider it a field trip.

Then there was Chuck-E-Cheese. There is plenty of active games there and since we didn't get sucked into buying pizza this could actually be considered another trip to a work-out facility. I don't know where the lollipops or cotton candy they won fit into this half brained theory about why they were not getting spoiled on this trip, but...stay with me. This picture to the right is the great electrification game. How long can you with stand the electric shock determines how many prize tickets you receive. (The children don't know this but I am counting this as a fat burning device.)

After Chuck-E-Cheese we slipped into my favorite Korean Grocery Store for some Kim-Chi and decided to eat at the Indian restaurant next door. I will definitely be returning to this restaurant. Everything we ordered had such a terrific flavor. Marina and I loved our Lamb Masala. How have we never ventured into this establishment before? The chef works behind a glass window and standing on a bench watching the operation is every kid in the restaurant. There were more children at this restaurant than I have seen at any other restaurant in Anchorage. Did I already mention the super awesome food? So, delicious ethnic food. Laid back kid friendly atmosphere. I was in heaven.

After my evaluation I find that no, my kids are not on the road to spoilage. Well, not anymore than they already were.

(Oh, and we got Vince's truck fixed. It was the alternator. Whatever, it's done. We did not want to spend our weekend together obsessing and worrying about it. Now he is off enjoying a nice long hunt with Russ.)

No comments: