Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Summer Edition: Regular Tuesday WITHOUT Irene


Although school is still in session and the leaves have yet to bud out on the alders, we have been having outrageously warm weather and we have been enjoying every opportunity to be outdoors.
This being Alaska, one can never be sure if the blue skies will last. We grab vitamin D while we can.Irene has been in Flagstaff Arizona for the past week enjoying time with her newly graduated daughter Sarah. I spent the morning without her at the High School, talking with Paul G. about DeeJay's schedule next year, my obsession with the state of Alaska's over zealous testing of our students, and what Paul has found (during a field trip with DeeJay to Alaska Vocational Training Educational Center) to be DeeJay's perfect perfect perfect job once he graduates from High School. Please see quiz at the side of this blog to guess what that might be.

I also got to spend some time visiting with Sharon G. in the nurses office at the high school. It's the end of the year and no one was complaining of an ailment so she had a moment. I had to take a picture of her next to this poster about abstinence. I guess studies reveal that kids are more likely to try abstinence if the posters are made with a groovy font and the cartoon people are more edgy. I heard a fantastic quick lecture last night about young women and pre-marital sex. Leave a comment or email me if you would like more information on that.

I came home last night to a message on the answering machine from the Commissioner of Education for the State of Alaska.

I'm calling because of a "Flurry of emails that seem to be going back and forth about some questions you have..."

I don't think that Mr.LaDoux is on Facebook, because from what I've seen in the modern world, two emails is not a flurry. This is why Irene made me pinkie swear that I would never join Facebook.

If any of you have any interest in hearing about why I have a problem with the State of Alaska paying over $200,000 to a corporation for more redundant testing of our students, please leave a comment and I will gladly go about my rant.

Russ is here from medical school for a visit. It is wonderful having him here. He has jumped on the tramp with Falcom non-stop, challenged everyone at Wii, woke Willie up with wet-willies, worked on the boat with Vince, gave free medical advice to Otto K., shored up my opposition to excessive and redundant testing of our high school students, and has made sure to burp each time he passes by me. He also plays Suduko with me...Last night was our annual 'Make Pizza with Russ' night. They made so much they had extras to take to the fire hall, which was in full gear due to a wild fire at 16 mile east road.

With the helicopters no longer flying overhead we are assuming that the fire is now under control. We did joke about the fire, and the volcano going off, and the threat of a tsunami, and the likelihood of a mid-May snow storm. All possible, Ah!laska.


Enjoy the sun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kristin told me Dow is behind the career readiness test, not AT& T.