Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Falcom's Birthday Weekend Extravaganza

May 4th welcomed Falcom's 10th year on the planet. Ten years old. When I first held the bouncing Buddha baby I did not imagine that he could turn ten. He was so precious then, with his thick body and sparkling eyes. His body is still stout and his eyes are still very sparkly. I may not be able to hold him anymore, but he is still precious.


Some things have changed since he's grown up to be ten. For instance, when he was younger, late night wake ups would have gone something like this. "Mom." He would whisper as he stood at my bedside at 4am. I would say, "Falcom, it is 4am come over here and go back to sleep. It is not time to wake up." and he would have gotten in bed with me and Vince and fallen back to sleep. Now, as a 10 year old it goes like this. He stood at my bedside at 4am and whispered, "Mom, I..." Knowing what he was thinking, I said, "You get back in bed. It is 4 am and you are not getting up to play Wii." He turned and went back to his bed, mad because he did want to get up to play Wii. He was still awake when Vince left for Soldotna at 5.30. When I came downstairs at 6.15, he was dressed and ready for school and downstairs playing Wii.


The years roll by...


We have tried to have outdoor birthday parties for him several times. Each attempt has been met with sunshine, but bitter cold. The beginning of May is a cold time of year here. It can be so deceptive. One year we had a fabulous party planned at the park. We organized games, the sun was shining, Irene made a fabulous treasure hunt with clever poems and maps with burned edges. We spent the entire time trying to keep ourselves and the kids warm, (even though the sun was shining). The park was so muddy, people kept getting stuck in the deep mud. After that I said, "No More! I don't care if I have to have a standing reservation at the pool, I won't go through that again."


Saturday we held his annual pool party. (This was a challenge for me as I was still feeling punk from my accident. ) Vince took care of nearly everything and what he could not do friends helped with. Falcom is fortunate to have many good friends. In a strange turn, it was an unusually hot day. I had to thank everyone for stopping whatever they were doing to come inside. I felt like the anti-Alaskan for bringing the kids indoors. Ah!Laska, you can never make your plans around the weather.


Loyal readers may not realize that of all the pictures and posts I have put on this blog over the past year the picture of last years 'horse party' cake has gotten more hits and any other. This year standing up to frost a cake creation was out of the question for me. I was disappointed as I enjoy the mechanics of cake creation. Falcom was disappointed for a nano second as he wanted a Princess Peach cake. Then he looked at me and said, "No problem mom." and was happy with all the cupcakes dad made him.


We were able to have cake and ice cream outside in the sun after swimming. It was wonderful.


After the party, Goddess Irene had the kids over to her house for a sleepover. Having an overnight was one of Falcom's birthday wishes, but in my state of gimpness and exhaustion it was out of the question. She swept up both children and gave me a night off and I was in my bed asleep by 8.30.


The next morning Hannah Grady called and she wanted to take Fal to the movie for his birthday, and so, in that strangely hot Alaskan sun, she picked up the kids from church, played around with them, took them to the movie, and then brought them home in time for a quick dinner, a little TV and a reasonable bedtime.



Yesterday, (Monday) was Falcom's actual birthday. Vince and I took cupcakes to school. We made Falcom's favorite meal and had all of our friends over to eat. It was mellow after the events of the entire weekend. It was a nice time. As you may have guessed, we have a new Wii game, some new kites, and lots of love. He is completely birthday saturated and content and happy. Now, if only it were ok for him to wake up at 4am to play Wii

Happy Birthday Falcom. We were blessed with you!

No comments: