Friday, May 1, 2009

Car Wreck


Yesterday afternoon I got into a car accident. It was the worst I've ever had. I know some of you who read this blog are going to be astonished by that, knowing what my adolescence was like, knowing what my college was like, knowing how many miles I've logged over the years and knowing how I can be...but it's true. And to answer those questions now; No I was not talking on the phone or listening to music. No, I did not take these pictures. Valda did. But more about that later.
You see, I was zipping downhill past our house and Marina said, "Look, I can see our house". I looked up and before I knew it I was on the shoulder and in the ditch but instead of crashing into the alders the ice and mud took us down the ditch up a easement driveway, we flew Dukes of Hazard style over the driveway and landed in the deep ditch on the opposite side in a hole. I wish I could take credit for being a stunt driver and it was my skills at auto maneuvering that saved the day, but I know I can take no credit. Honestly, we should have flipped, but we didn't.

It was horrible. No one could see us down in the ditch. I couldn't get cell reception right away and couldn't get my car door open. Finally, I got reception. A couple of big guys cranked the door open and got the kids out. Before I knew it Marge and Valda were there. Valda, an ER nurse, examined the kids. She kept telling me they were OK, but until you see for yourself it is hard to believe.
Marge stayed with me. I took the worst of it. My knee is banged up and my face is bruised but I didn't break anything and I didn't bleed that much. That didn't stop the ambulance crew from having to fully strap me down and haul me off to the hospital. They put me in the ambulance and there was a bad smell. Next thing I knew they were taking me out of the ambulance because the ambulance had caught fire. Nice.

While all of this was going on the EMS had fully evaluated the kids and Valda them in her car. Falcom's teacher Melon came and sat with them in the car. Her mellow disposition really helped them. They came and saw me in the ambulance before they took me to town. It was good knowing they were OK.
Valda took this picture while I was in the hospital. I was still not finding this event humorous or blog worthy when she took it, but she assured me that I would be glad I had the picture eventually. She is a secret blogger.
One of the things that I think helps my positive outlook on life is that I try to find something positive in the worst things. When the paramedics started cutting my pants to get them off they said "Sorry." and I was able to honestly say, "No, it's OK! These are my least favorite pants." Irene and I laughed a little in the ER. "Good thing you weren't wearing those darling orange pants today." And I could tell her honestly, "You know, I almost did but I wanted to save them...and now look!" Good thing, and a good laugh.

Before Valda took them to her house (while my knee was getting x-rayed), I gave Marina a good going over. She lifted up her dress and Vince said, "Oh, my gosh! Look at the color of your skin!" She said, "Dad it's my tights!" She took down her tights and her knees had large black circles on them. They looked really bruised. I said, "Oh my." knowing how bad my knee feels. She said, "Mom! Its just dirt. I am really dirty!" I told her to go home and take a bath so I could stop freaking out.Anyway, I know that God had the kids in bubble wrap, me too for that matter and that as the lessons from this experience unravel, I will be more and more grateful. From the look of this picture, I don't think Irene was amused at Valda's picture taking either, at the time.
I almost forgot to mention the fourth passenger in the vehicle, Scratch, who was not belted in. Scratch (the wonder dog) was like a canine airbag for Marina. At the point of impact Scratch was thrown from the back to the front seat and may have been a buffer for Marina who was buckled in with only her lap belt. That is Scratch, always there for his family. We are going to put a plaque up at the site of the crash, "Scratch; Wonder dog"
A big thank you for all the fast responders at the scene for all your compassionate help. Thank you to Marge and Valda. Thank you to Irene. Thank you Jeff Middleton who helped Vince pull the truck out. (No easy feat as you could not see it from the road). Thank you friends and family for your love and support...always.
and remember
SEAT BELTS SAVE LIVES! USE THEM EVEN WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING A SHORT DISTANCE RIGHT BY YOUR HOUSE! THEY WORK!

2 comments:

The Wes Gordon Family said...

I am SO glad to hear you are OK! What a relief. Good girl for wearing the seat belt.

XOX

Dee

Lynne said...

Who needs TV/DVD's, or any entertainment of any kind, when we can just read your BLOG??!!
Oh my gosh!! I'm so glad you're OK! I was laughing so hard at your post, I was crying....but so concerned about you, until your last word.
Whew! Yes, God was watching over you!
p.s., good job, Valda, on the photos...yes, she was right-on to take them! =)
So, how IS your knee?