Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Poll Answer: DeeJay's Perfect Job



Thanks to Paul G, DeeJay took a field trip about a month ago to Seward where he checked out AVTEC (Alaska Vocational Training Education Center). When he arrived back home all he could say was that it was very strict and he didn't think he could go there. When I asked why he told me that if you miss a day of school they will put you on probation. I asked him if he had ever missed a day of school.

He looked at me and then said, "well...no..."

That was all that I heard about AVTEC until my coffee meeting with Paul. It seems that Paul found out about a great career opportunity at AVTEC that DeeJay missed while he was worrying about getting on probation.

MARITIME TRAINING - CREW MEMBER ON A TUGBOAT

When Paul interviewed the instructor it sounded like a perfect job for DeeJay. DeeJay's skill set and temperment are perfect for the job. The industry is in dire need of workers and the pay is great.

Nothing he could say was convincing DeeJay of this. DeeJay could not bring himself to think about going to AVTEC because he was under the impression it was so strict.

Paul was really having a tough time cracking that egg. Then he got an idea. He stood up in front of DeeJay's class at the white board, marker in hand, and said, "This is what I earn. This is how much I work. This is how much a tug boat crew member makes. This is how much they work."

DeeJay is very excited to go to AVTEC and become a crew member on a ship. Paul is considering a career change.

1 comment:

Des said...

I'm starting to only realize now that there are so many jobs out there which pay well, and you can enjoy. I'm still discovering what works for me, but I'm glad that DeeJay is getting a head start! :)

PS. I like your music, it's so happy.