Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Where Do The Days Go?

Falcom and Iris
I'll tell you where they go, they get sucked up by a lot of outside responsibilities! Fortunately many of them are fun.

After my week at Razdolna, I was trying to catch up on the laundry and found my camera in the wash.  Nice.  It still works but it does not have the same vavoom that it did a week ago.  In fact, it is about the same level as my phone camera now.  This will not do.  Fortunately Christmas is coming and I've been good (-ish).

I took my darling Brownie Troop to Soldotna on Saturday to a hay maze.  What a riot!  This troop is not about craft activities.  They are physical!  All the way!  Before they were allowed to enter the hay tunnels they had fun lassoing calf replicas and playing soccer. 
It is my understanding that hay tunnels are fantastic places.  I would not know this first hand since I chose to hang out with Janet and my new friend Beezer by the warm fire in order to ensure my allergies not become inflamed by the hay dust.  According to the girls, it was dark in there.  It was a little scary.  When the tunnel would get backed up it would make people a little claustrophobic.  Overall it was FANTASTIC!

 Afterwords, the troop headed home in a serious sugar coma due to the hot chocolate, hot cider, store bought cake, and marshmallows available.  Whew!
This weekend we also began preparing for Halloween in earnest by carving our pumpkins.  Kaylene, Maygen and Iris came by and together we put some of our magic handiwork on the pumpkins.
I'm not sure how it happened, but about half way into the process Willie and Kaylene were the only kids working on their own pumpkin.  Falcom chose and incredibly difficult design and needed Maygen to all but do it for him, and Marina tapped Daddy to take over her carving.  At the end it was worth it.  We had some laughs and Maygen taught me that mopping the floor after carving was a fun and not too difficult of a thing to do.  Thank you Maygen!  (This leads me to another realization I had this week and a new mantra that I am trying to encapsulate into my hard drive--MAINTENANCE--  More on that later.)

Once we finished our carving and cleaning, Marina instigated a contest:  Best.  This girl is really into contests.  She is a very competitive spirit that is for sure!  Fortunately we created nine categories and everyone was the winner in three sub sections.  Ugh!

Maygen and Iris tackling Falcom's advanced level pumpkin design
The remaining tidbits of my week fall under the heading "Maintenance".  No, it's not romantic or delightful, it's simply the area of existence I am most reluctant to participate in and yet it is the one I need to embrace with more enthusiasm (OK...any enthusiasm).  This is the title of my next post... The importance of maintenance.

No comments: