Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Life

Alana self portrait done at Razdolna.  If only I could straighten it for the  blog!
Yesterday I taught Marina how to play the game of Life. Because counting the money is not a challenge for her we were able to focus on the other areas of strategy that are key to success at the game. "Go to college every time if you can." "Sometimes borrow money to make more money" "Don't forget to count the money even if its coming from the bank!"

As I played Life with Marina I could see this great blog metaphor unfolding. The art of this metaphor is right there in my grasp, but I don't know when or how I'll have the time to develop it. Since my creativity is inhibited by my thumb typing, I will update you on the status of all family members from oldest to youngest.

Vince: we have devoted this month to making money. We have spent quite a bit this past 5 months so we are catching up. When he is home he is taking care of whatever project is in need of his attention. He is building an Arctic Entry and fixing all of our cars.

DeeJay: we got a call from the bank on Monday. Someone had turned in his ATM card. Thank God all of his money was still there. Had he left it at the gas station last month or did one of his friends try to use it this past weekend? His good buddy went to jail last week. Leaving when he did was a good thing for DeeJay. He has gotten a job in Guam at a hardware store. He was accepted into JobCorp but at this point he wants (or his family wants) him to stay there with them. It is true that he is not ready to be on his own. I am hoping that by the time his place comes up on the waiting list he will be ready. We will see. He is healthy and they are happy together and he will begin school in Guam to study welding in the spring.

Willie: took the high school qualifying exam this month. He is always so energetic after exams. And optimistic! I can see how it happens, he is so weighed down by the pressure of the tests that when they are over his elation convinces him he must have done great! As we reflect we realize he probably didn't do as well as he thinks. Its kind of sad and kind of funny and makes me kind of excited for him to be through this part of his life. He is still happy with Kaylene. He is still happy with life.

Falcom: is getting ready for his vocal show at the Counsel of the Arts. He is singing a lot of songs that he and I are unfamiliar with. It should be interesting. Its nice to see him stretch as a vocal artist.

Thursday was the last day of school this week and when I picked him up he was light hearted. He told me he told the bullies who were calling him names that he was gay. I was stunned and worried. I asked him why he did that. He said, "I had to face my fear and find my words." Needless to say I was worried. In some ways it would be a relief to just get it out and deal with it. On the other hand if he had given me some warning I could have prepared a power point presentation and brought in psychological professionals.

Marina's Piece at the Art Shop Gallery
Yesterday I picked him up from voice and everything was fine. No one said anything and no one bothered him and he got in trouble for not doing his school work.

Marina: still doesn't like to comb her hair. Still thinks she is co-leader of her scout troop. she has compartmentalized her anxiety over her surgery. She always wins at Life. Her art is hanging in the gallery in town this month. Very exciting.

Alana: I've been anxious. Not the kind of anxious where I don't have enough oxygen. Its the kind of anxious where I feel like if something doesn't happen out of the ordinary soon, I'm going to loose my mind.

I'm sub teaching all week. The kids are great. Falcom didn't get beat up. Willie is passing his classes. Marina is clever. DeeJay is employed. Vince had me watching Dexter with him. What a mistake! I can't get it out of my mind. Great show. Too intense!

I was supposed to go to Anchorage this week for a training but that didn't pan out. I was anxious about that until I learned the topic-public speaking. Not my weak spot. Glad I didn't rearrange my entire plan for that.

Today I got home from school and Marina had Mema on the floor playing Life. Mema was telling Marina that she had had enough, that this game was not working for her. "Ill let you change jobs Mema!" Marina was saying.

"She told me I could take the short cut or go to college. Of course I wanted the short cut." Marina stood behind her smiling. "Do I look like I want to be a mechanic?". Meanwhile, Marina was making 100 grand a pay day as a lawyer. Ah...Life.

No comments: