Monday, September 27, 2010

Homecoming, 2010

 
It must be difficult to have a parent who is a total documentation dork and who insists on following you around taking pictures of your every "first". For me, documentation does not stop at walking, or talking, oh no! I will be there camera in hand at nearly every event these kids can imagine.




Last weekend, in Anchorage, Mema and I helped Willie do some shopping for a nice suit and tie.  Mema hemd the sleeves and pant legs this week.  Vince helped him make the tie.  He wore shoes that we found on the side of the road that must have flown off of someones car roof.  I cried when I watched Willie drive off to Kaylene's.  My boy Willie, transformed before me into a man. 
 Because of the hickey fiasco of two weeks prior, Willie and Kaylene were fully chaperoned for the evening.  Edi made dinner for them to enjoy at the Radeke house (with Mariah and her date Johnny).  Ten minutes before they left Radeke's for the dance, Willie called me so that Vince and I could come over to take pictures. 

Vince and I then drove them to the dance.  Glen picked them up. 

In the car on the way to the dance the kids were reading over the contract they had to sign to enter the dance.  This contract lined out all the expectations the school had of the students behavior and terms of expulsion from the dance.  Two of the most memorable contractual points for me were that girls could show no bra straps except those that were clear or see through.  Good thing this isn't Saipan, hu?  Boys could not wear a shirt which showed their nipples.  Is this a prejudice against boys with 'man boobs' or a declaration that 'wife beater' t-shirts are out of the question?  As a heterosexual woman I can say that a man nipple is not what first attracted me to Vince.  I wondered if this was a new fetish category that I hadn't known about... Vince liked the line in which a "girls skirt length must be longer than the point to which their hands hung to their sides."  Vince said, "Can't you hear it now, 'finally, this short arm disability is paying off!'".

Both kids had a great time.  They were the best dressed couple at the dance.  They were home early, thanks to Glen.  Next...Prom!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i think that it is great that you are documenting every thing...i did not know that you were doing this and it is good that they are making some rules on the dances cause they were getting out of hand...i think that all people going to the dance should be dressed like willy and kaylene...these pictures make me want too break out my suit and tie... dylan critchett