Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Approaching Harvest

Since my ducks abandoned their slug eating duties in my garden I have been avoiding my farming. The ducks gave me a purpose for venturing into the rain and the mud and the muck to weed and pick. When they escaped and took up residence under the trampoline I had no reason to check the vegetables. I used to have to go down to verify that they had not become eagle bait. Now, their constant walking around the house, staring into the windows at me, lets me know they have not been turned into sashimi.

Today the sun is out. I write this as I lay in my lower meadow. Fall is here. The trees are changing color. The pushki is dead. The kohlrabi, that we were told would not produce because we planted them from seed, have put on nice bulbs. The chard and the carrots, like the bees, didn't do anything this summer.

But this cabbage! Bees may not like constant rain, but cabbage, cabbage loves this rain! I could have won a blue ribbon with this beauty. It looks like I will be learning how to make and enjoy sauerkraut this month. When the kids get home tonight we will pick!

Oops...better go...here comes the rain...again.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone powered by ACS!

No comments: