Monday, October 26, 2009

Pictures from the Weekend

The weekend started out with the most insane of all possible sleep over party scenarios: a four guest sleep over. This party consisted of two sets of siblings. It made perfect sense to the kids and was actually a fabulous idea to them. Vince and I felt that it was something we should do to facilitate bonding and friendships at school. No, it seemed more a necessity than a good idea.

OH! What a night of high fashion and high drama. Falcom could not have found a group of friends more able to hold their own in six inch pumps! At one point they had Vince and I on the couch for a fashion show. They were getting ready to parade in front of us when things in the changing room got out of hand. They were playing "Princess and the Maid" and Falcom was the princess and Aunia was the maid. Falcom, in his best evil stepsister princess way, told the maid, "You are never going to be as beautiful as me! In fact, you are ugly!" Well, the game usually ends with the maid outshining the princess and this is all part of the high drama, but the maid was not informed of this. Instead, she the game ended abruptly with by running to the stairs and sobbing while all the kids tried to cheer her.

It got so intense that even Malia broke into song to try to snap her out of it. The song went like this, "Aunia, you are the most beautiful girl in our class. You are simply wonderful. You are almost the smartest in our class..."

Vince and I looked at each other and realized that we have a very long decade of parenting ahead of us.

As loyal readers are aware, I have been amusing myself by spending spare daylight hours at the fabulous "Grassroots Salon" in Homer. Two weeks ago Jerami informed me that he was not going to be able to let me hang around much longer without a touch up. Since I am a princess I decided that I needed an audience for this event and Jerami said, "OH Yes! And we'll do nails and have a ball!" So I texted the girls (Irene, Sharon and Suzanne) and said, "Be at the salon to watch me get a hair do Saturday night."

You would have thought I was asking them come get their excessive skin tags removed. I didn't tell them that I wanted to pamper them a little bit and because of that I had to beg them to come. What the heck!? Especially Irene who was giving me a hard time until I said, "Look *****, I am getting food and hopefully am going to be able to give you a pedicure or a hair do or something! Geeze I just wanted to surprise my friends what is the big deal?!" She had no idea. Arg, these three! Jerami even got them all tiaras to wear. Why would they even consider resisting!
One thing for sure, when I invite them somewhere they will never doubt me again!

Afterwords we went to the Down East and met up with Vince and Glenn and had a good time showing off our new hair and listening to music.

Sunday morning found us experiencing our first snow. It didn't stick to the boys dismay (and my glee).

After Church on Sunday, the Finance committee held an auction to raise money for heat and lights. The Auctioneer came dressed for cold and then as each item was sold he stripped off a layer of clothing. It was hilarious and was a good example of why I love these Alaskan Methodists!

Oh yea, we came home with some good stuff.


Since no publishing offers have been pouring in, I have begun the process of transitioning from my current job as Princess to that of Substitute Teacher. I loaded onto the wheeler today and headed with Suzanne down to the Russian Village where I explored the idea of whether or not I have enough of the 'skill set' required to be a high school math teacher. After talking with Andy and seeing Suzanne's extensive collection of skirts and dresses at the school to choose from, I would say that the answer is yes I am qualified to teach in the Russian school for an extended period of time.

If you doubted my kick ***ness before, you can now assure yourself that indeed, I am an Alaskan Renaissance woman. I'll start teaching before Thanksgiving.

No comments: