Monday, October 12, 2009

Pictures from the Weekend - an Epilogue

Sunrise

At the request of my loyal reader, I need to spend a morning working on the Epilogue to my post entitled, Homecoming. The question she so lovingly asked while standing in the entry to the post office was, "What happened to DeeJay and the van? I need to know!" I have decided that today shall be the day that I finish that story since the weekend went by without any major events or buffet lines. I will make notations by the photographs to let you know what all has been happening.

If you have not read 'Homecoming' you really must in order to get the gist of this post.

Falcom is playing the clarinet with the McNeil School Band. He wanted to play the flute, but we own a clarinet and before I would shell out cash for a flute that he may only want to play for a week, I decided we would test the waters with the clarinet that I have been packing and moving since MY fourth grade band. (See picture at left)

If you will recall, while Vince was hunting and I was in the depth of my fury at DeeJay, I made a late night text message to my beloved Vince. Unlike how these types of messages had played out in the past, this was not a message relaying my disgust with being left alone with a huge mess on my hands. Instead, I wrote a message conveying my bafflement with the male teenage mind and my inability to know what to do in this situation. I knew that he would never get the message, as the Brooks Range has yet to be scoured by that guy and his cell team on the Verizon network. Venting to him though seemed to help me and I quickly drifted right off to sleep.

My volunteer hours at McNeil were happily spent creating Alaskan Animal Hand Puppets! (see picture at the right) The little porcupine in the upper left corner is Marina's. She took a painstaking amount of time to make this little creature 'just perfect'!

When Vince returned to cell phone range he called me. I told him the story of the boys, the van, the ditch, the possible lie, the upcoming rectal examination. He said, "My, it sounds like you've had fun with that one!" He knows me so well!

When he came home he found that there had been no change in status in my anger and frustration level about the van incident. DeeJay's lab results came back inconclusive. Vince went to the high school to have lunch with the boys and when he picked me up from my princess job at Grassroots Salon after that lunch he said, "I have learned the truth about the accident and will be dealing with it tonight after dinner." And with those words I knew that I would be able to let go of my frustrations. Vince would be taking care of everything...

Never let it be said that I doubt the critical roll of a father figure in the family. There are things that are amazing that I, as a mother, can not replicate in any way even if I try. (This in no way minimizes or lessens my belief in equality for all.) Now, anyone out there will be hard pressed to find doubt in my macho-ness or kicka**-ness. (This will be proven further when I begin substitute teaching. )But when it comes to these little pullet roosters that live in my house and their need to bump into something...

Maygen, Iris and Brian came over for pizza night. This means that they came over and made pizza for us. These are also not your run of the mill pizza's either. These are amazing gourmet pizza's. At right is Maygen's 'pear and blue cheese pizza'. The red sauce she made for the other pizzas was an amazing mixture of left over pork ribs and vegetables from the garden including carrots and greens. Now do you see why I MUST return to the WW asap!


After eating Brian went to play Wii with Falcom and while they were playing Maygen pulled Marina's tooth! Why Marina loves having her teeth pulled by educational professionals is beyond me. These pictures are a reenactment.
Friends who have been following my development as a person from childhood to adulthood know that I am a 'spirituality freak' of sorts and even have a minor in Religious Studies tagged onto my college diploma. I love spirituality and religion. I enjoy the relationship I have with my higher power and feel I have a close and personal relationship with that universal love that connects us all and life.


Parenting has caused me to call some of that "Universal Mystery"'s judgement into question. For instance, this van wreck (and other age appropriate ding-dong teenage moments) have had me asking during meditative moments, "Lord, what is the purpose of delayed brain development in adolescence?" "What higher purpose does this lack of brain development serve?" Then I would get this inner knowing, "One reason, no one would agree to raise children if they did not lack impulse control at some point. I make the babies cute and I curtail full brain development until the late 20's in order to perpetuate the species..."

It was late when the boys returned from their drive. I was in bed when Vince came into the bedroom. He shut the door and began to undress. I couldn't wait another minute. "What happened?"

"I took DeeJay and we drove around a bit just chatting. On our way back to our road I sped up, hit the brakes, spun the wheel; attempting to do a Brodie in the van. Miraculously," he said with an air of sarcasm, "the van ended up in the exact same location as it did when it went into the ditch. I stopped it in time, put it in park, turned to DeeJay and said, 'Is there something you want to tell me?' DeeJay was shitting himself, in fact, he's probably down there using the toilet as we speak. I don't think we will be having that problem again." He laid in bed and started laughing!

Have I mentioned in this blog before how much I love my husband. Yea, he is great.

Why DeeJay didn't feel like just telling me the truth? "Hello? Universal Mystery Hot line? This is Alana..."

Yea, he's still grounded. Just when I was letting up on him he did another completely ridiculous thing and then tried to lie about it, so...

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Great update.

Be assured the great God above sees every loving deed you do. You are changing the future by raising your precious family!

In mid-stream, keep your sense of humor, which is one of your greatest assets!

"Having a family is like having a bowling alley installed in your brain".
-Martin Mull
=)