Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Willie Graduates!




Look at our baby!  It is hard to imagine that this is the same boy who stood in my classroom door all those years ago and could not make eye contact with me.  It is a bitter pill to swallow, the passage of time and the evolution of a child into a man.  Willie, we could not be more proud!

Mema threw a party for Willie similar to the one we threw when DeeJay graduated.  She ironed his gown and got  him ready and made food for us all.  Willie forgot to tell Mema to iron his gold scarf.  I knew I would not be able to stand looking at that lump so Maygen took my picture ironing.   Don't I look like my Grandma Alice?


 Lucy and Manuel could not come for this graduation.  They did send Yapese leis for him and Kaylene. 

Mema is the most wonderful grandmother ever to host us and take care of all of us like she does.  Vince drove down from Soldotna after a snafu with the scheduling.  He could not miss this day! 

It is interesting, as parents, how we can simultaneously be proud and agitated with our children.  Worry occasionally overshadows the happiness.  We are so proud of this boy.  He has faced obstacles that children in the states can not imagine.  Now look at him, a high school graduate and a person who has a chance to have a successful life.  







We love you Willie and we are very proud of you!

No comments: