Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Perfect Storm

 Who suffers most on a snow day?  The kids who get to stay home from school?  The mother who does not have a plan for the kids who are now staying home from school?  The chickens and ducks who spend the night tucked into their coop wondering if they will be left alone to die after their coop is completely engulfed by snow?  Or is it the 'outside job' members of the family who spend the day digging and plowing...

The kids were not as excited about the snow day as one might assume.  Tuesday is art day and Marina wasn't going to get to do that.  Once the anxiety was off to get to school, Falcom fell back to sleep and did not emerge until 9am.  I have enough activities in my back pocket to entertain the children with that I had no problem.  Art, robotics, typing, book reports...I am an endless supply of ideas. Usually, this just makes them avoid me.

The chickens were relieved to see me shoveling them out.  Their crowing and clucking grew louder and louder the closer I got to their coop! All ducks ran right outside when they had the chance.

That means that the burden of the blizzard fell solidly on the men and their heavy machines.  Vince spent the day plowing with Jason.  The truck got stuck only once, way down the road since there was no way to back up and no way to turn around.  Valda had to snowshoe out of her house to come see us.  She had to have Jeff Middleton come over with his bulldozer to clear her drive because there was no way Vince could do it. The children spent over an hour trying to shovel the trampoline. DT and Willie were in town shoveling snow for Joe O'Malley.  They could not get home because our road did not get plowed until after 6pm and by that time they were so tired from the hours and hours of shoveling they did, they just wanted to pass out.

While everyone was outside, busy with their combustible engines and shovels, I baked bread and cookies.  I relished in having everyone home, busy and safe, while I prepared carbohydrates for them.  Yes, I believe that, for me, it may have been the perfect storm.

1 comment:

Natasha Athey said...

The snow looks amazing! Of course, coming from someone who lives in the southern U.S., any snow more than 4 inches high is an astounding feat of nature... lol :)

My family-friendly blog:
thebusylifeofnatasha.blogspot.com