Monday, September 19, 2011

As Free as His Hair

I know that Gaga lyrics make good pop music, but I don't get the literal translation.  When my hair is free it totally drives me nuts.  It gets in my eyes and my mouth (not to mention other places!).  The shades of gray it turns around my temple wash me out.  My hair is a lot of things, but a metaphor for liberation, it is not!

Falcom tried to explain the concept to me.  "She can do whatever because she is free like her hair."  Still not getting it I responded, "Your hair is always giving you a hard time!  Dreading up in the back and poofing everywhere."  I didn't mention that it caused people to look at him and express gender confusion, to which he and his sister were having to correct in other people all the time.  "I guess, if I stretched the concept of freedom...or if I embraced it in a Buddhist way, like, the more freedom the more restraint."  Falcom wasn't following my train of thought.  At all.  "Anyway mom, I saw a picture where her head was shaved 'cuz she's just wearing wigs all the time anyway."

Somehow, Falcom decided that indeed, he was tired of dealing with his long curly hair.  But what would he do with it?  The day he came home and told me he was going to give himself a wedge up the back to come down long around the front, I pinched my lips together and called Cherish in a panic.  You see, my motherly opinion holds little weight, but Cherish...fashion maven with a huge closet full of shoes and designer handbags...Cherish's opinion holds weight. 


Cherish gave Falcom this picture.  Falcom was delighted.  Oh!  This will work fantastically!  Now, to find a hairdresser who knows curly hair.  (Now that Jerami is gone.)  In steps Brett!

Brett is an amazing woman!  She is the other Girl Scout Leader at McNeil.  She and Jerami used to work together.  She prefers recieving gifts or wine instead of cash for her services.  Her daughter is Falcom's Kinder-buddy.  Oh...the list of things that makes her fantastic goes on and on!  All of this, and she knows hair!

 And off it came, one curl at a time...clip, clip, clip...
Thank you Cherish and Brett, for unleashing Falcom from under the weight of all that 'freedom' .  He looks great!

No comments: