Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Family Day

For the first time in 11 years, our Family Day is not going the way I like.  "What is Family Day?" you ask?  Family Day is the day that we celebrate our becoming a family!  Eleven years ago today a judge banged a gavel and made "The Greear Family" an official unit.  Every year we celebrate this day as a family, together, uninterrupted.

 Oh!  But how the time has changed!  This year everyone has been scattered to the wind.  Vince is at work in Soldotna.  Willie has school and then work until 9.  Falcom is across the bay on a wonderful school field trip for two nights.  Marina is here still.  I am here.  Gloria is in Hawaii, but she should probably be here.
Meanwhile, I feel happy and sad that they are growing up and that this must be a little prelude to how adults feel when their kids start to move on;  like when they miss Thanksgiving because they are in college out of state, or spend a Christmas with their boyfriends family. There is a serious irony in Falcom's first big trip away from any family members being on Family Day!  UG!

Monday nigtht I promised them ALL, I said "Look, do not think that I have forgotten about family day just because most of you will not be here for the actual day!  On Saturday, before Willie has to go to work, we WILL be celebrating Family Day.  Even if it means we hide in the basement and play Wii together, we will do it!  Have I made myself clear?"  They all smiled at me and nodded.


Today Marina made a plan.  She will ride the bus to town.  We will shop around and do special things together and then go out to dinner with Maygen, Iris, and Mema.  Then I got a call from Piper's mom asking if I would watch her for the afternoon since Beezer is out of town.  I found that cosmically amusing and wonderful too.  All us girls, in all of our families will get to spend the evening together.  We will take a dessert to Willie at the fuel dock.  We will Face Time Vince from the restaurant.  We will still love each other to the max even if we can not physically be together on this day!

No comments: