Monday, June 13, 2011

Reflecting

Each summer of my childhood was spent going "home" to Illinois. These trips were amazing for me. No one there ever changed: No one moved. No one divorced. Besides my cousins getting older nothing radical ever happened in Illinois. Our family was alway happy to see us. The farm never became uninteresting My grandmother always cried at my coming and leaving. My aunt would always sit with me for hours.

Yesterday, I reexperianced this feeling, but from the other side. This time I am the weepy grandmother who is delighting in and grieving the passage of time. I am the auntie who will sit and drink tea and chat about anything. It is our home that has not changed much from those early memories that Gloria made. Mema came out to greet her. Valda invited her over and was anxious to see her. Falcom and Marina were sleeplessly anticipating her arrival.

Gloria spent the day looking around, reliving her memories. I spent the day joyful that I am still a part of her life.

No comments: