Thursday, January 7, 2010

Marina's Letter to Her Class

Hello Class;

I had a good time seeing the monkeys. They were cute!  When I gave them some food some of them took the whole entire branch of fruit I was holding out!  The tiny babies were less than two years old.  The light brown monkey was probably newborn.

We saw a polar bear, he was shy and turning green.  Something about his fur in the sun...  I don't know exactly why, you'll have to look it up.  We saw a red wolf.  Falcom said it looked just like the wolf in the book The Gunny wolf.  It had big furry ears.  We saw water buffaloes and hippos and giraffes.  Our favorite was the Rain forest Habitat where we saw the lemurs and the flying foxes (bats) and butterflies.  There was also a crocodile and dad said that the alligator must have had his fun because there was a little kids sandal in the crocodiles water.  We also were able to feed land tortoises.  They were huge and over a hundred years old!

We saw an iguana that was wild in the grass and when I get back I will show you all the pictures.  Mostly, the wild animals we've seen are monkeys.  Yesterday we hiked to a fairy waterfall.  They say here that the water faeries swim in these pools when no people are around.  It was a hard hot hike.  The bugs in the jungle were very loud!  We didn't see monkeys but we could hear them.    Tanner would love to hear and see all these bugs!  There were little fish in the water.  And tadpoles.

Yes, I was very happy to come to Malaysia.  I've been eating a lot of spicy foods.  Breakfast is weird...hot dogs and scrambled eggs and "Mango Squash" which is mango juice.  Sometimes they have spaghetti for breakfast at the restaurant. 

Everyone who lives here speaks Malaysian.  All the tourists speak many many different languages.  I've met people from New Zealand, Isreal, Iraq, Europe...  But everyone speaks English so it is easy to get around.

I've been eating watermelon, lychee, mangosteen, dragon fruit.  The dragon fruit is weird.  It is white on the inside with a lot of tiny black seeds.

At the beach we pick up a lot of shells that are NOT in Alaska.  The crabs are really tiny and just small.  There are sting rays and dad got stung by a jelly fish and it hurt him bad.  We are not digging for clams.  This is not a clam beach.  It is a shell beach.  Tomorrow we are going to go snorkeling. 

I am hoping the giant flower is blooming when we get to Borneo.  You never know if they are blooming...  We just hope. 

Are you starting any projects in class.  I am wondering how much I am going to have to catch up.  What is the weather like there?  Is it very very snowy?  We are flying back to Alaska on Jan. 19.

Thank you so much for writing to me.  I miss you all!  Love Marina




Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Marina,
The weather here has been warm, in the 30s. Most of our snow is melted or really dirty. Driveways are sheer ice. It's yucky. You are not missing much. I walked my dog on the beach yesterday. It was warm for Homer. I thought of you in the warm sun. I miss you all. Glad you are having a good time.
Love,
Irene