Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Langkawi

Things are well with us Greears. Still no ability to add pictures...Sorry.

Jan 3

I had a perfect day in Kuala Lumpur. The Potronas Towers were amazing and being able to go up into the sky bridge was a thrill.

Afterwords we went on a ticket chase, buying our plane tickets to Borneo and our bus tickets to Langkawi. The plane tickets were sold from a stall in a mall at the KL Sentral subway station. We got our tickets and then headed into the heart of China town to get our bus tickets. Inside the terminal things were crowded and hot and descil fume filled. People were hassling us to buy our bus tickets from them. There were at least 30 bus lines. Vince didn't know what to do. I went up to a young woman and asked her if she had a favorite bus line. She did and she marched right up to it and helped us buy our tickets.

It was a perfect example of how people have been very kind. She said that just last week her friend bought a ticket and when he came to catch the bus he learned he had bought a fraudulent ticket. She didn't want that to happen to us.

We left the station and went into the heart of China Town. We ate on the street while we shopped for DVD's from a book that a hawker passed us. The street was lined with handbags and wallets and fruit and every thing.

While we were eating Falcom spotted the Fish Spa! Vince and I then went in and had 15 unbelievable minutes with hundreds of hungry fish. My dream came true! What did it feel like? It sent tingling sensations up my legs, like they were 'asleep' and waking up. Kind of. But better. It was not bad, very invigorating. When it was done my feet were smooth. If we lived near a fish spa I would definitely be doing it weekly. Yes, I liked it that much.

That night I went to bed having had a perfect day.

In the morning we went to the bus station and caught our bus to Langkawi. Vince left us in the terminal while he went to exchange some money. We waited and waited and waited. I started getting very anxious and upset. So did Marina. The bus was loading and he was no where to be found. I was determined to ask him if he could feel my anxiety...

When he finally showed up we learned that he had been delayed at the bank. He tried to leave without finishing the transaction because he was worried about missing the bus and they took his passport and would not let him leave! After I heard this story I decided that perhaps instead of thinking that he would feel my anxiety I need to realize that probably I was feeling his.

The five hour ride was comfortable and pleasant. The scenery made me think of an Asian I-5 to Modesto. Coconut trees, bananas, some farms.

January 5, 6

We've been taking a day off. The kids spent the day playing on the beach. We swam in the hotel pool and walked around the neighborhood. It has been a peaceful stay.

The Islamic culture here has it's pros and cons for American tourists. Pro...there is no crime. There is not much noticeable partying. It is a modest kind of place. It is such a modest place that it makes an American aware of how there could be a hatred of Westerners. To see the local people with long sleeves and the women with head scarves and then to see some of these women in tiny bikinis or with their boobs falling out of their shirts and the men strutting around in next to nothing as well. I could see how they could have the wrong impression of us. Con...they don't have the same sense of beauty and art as a person would find in Bali. The food is not as delicious. I've often thought of it the way I think of Anchorage. Here is a place designed by a bunch of men. Sure it is functional, but...

The beach has been wonderful. The hotel pool has been a dream. We hiked to waterfalls where faery's live today through the rain forest. We were soaking wet from perspiration but it made swimming in that little creek all the more worth it. The bugs in the jungle were loud...so loud they sounded like a siren was going off.

Then we took a sky tram to the top of a mountain. That was a thrill. We were so high up! The further we got up the mountain the quieter it became. Floating on air! Beautiful.

Today I begin planning our escape back to KL so that we can go into Borneo. Have I mentioned that I love Asia?

I love Asia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would kill for some pictures. Not sure I could do the fish spa. The thought of fish eating my skin gives me the creeps, even though dust mites do it every night. But I can't see or feel them. Matt wants to work for Jerami for a week so he can go to SE Asia, too!

Connie's Home Kitchen said...

Hi Alana! It's Connie. I was so glad to get your card and have been following your Asian journey. It sounds like heaven. It warms my heart that you are still the Alana I know and love, forever traveling and experiencing all life has to offer. I'll catch you up on all the haps in a letter that will be waiting upon your return. Happy travels....