Monday, June 2, 2008

Scales and Cinema

Mindy getting advise from Lynne in the therapy line at the WW

Before leaving my house for the WW, I called Mindy and asked how hot she was. She said she was looking super hot with jeans and a belt. She also said, "And I'm not changing for the scale!" I said, "Are you kidding? That's like breaking the golden rule!"
I got to her house and she had changed. She said she weighed her jeans and belt and they weighed over two pounds. Uh Hu! And they all laughed at me last week for taking off my belt! See Suzanne... I decided to just stay frumpy. Since I've been so hot lately, people have stopped taking me seriously. I can't have that!
And then I got on the scale...and no this is not me flashing a gang sign... I lost two point six pounds. Amen! I think I can continue on this program.

Since the WW was just packed (I'm not even making that up) we were already 20 minutes into the meeting when we finally finished on the scale. I swear that group reminds me of a couple AA meetings I went to in Sacramento. Just packed! Not as much coffee though.

Getting back on point; since neither of us were going to be getting an award this week and because we had already missed over half the meeting we decided to bail and go to the movies instead.



Maid of Honor.

My mom and Priscilla were sitting in front of us. These are their heads in the above picture.


There was a running joke in the movie about some "glow in the dark thunder balls" that a gradmother recieved from a sex toy sales girl. The grandma thought they were a necklace and wore them throughout the rest of the movie. When the movie ended we were visiting with Priscilla and my mom and they asked if we knew what those were. Because they got the joke, but didn't really get it. I explained it to them and Priscilla belts out across the now quietly emptying theater, "So, you and Vince use those Alana?" I am so glad I was not facing her because she would have made fun of me for getting embarassed. Mindy thought that was the best/funniest part of the movie. No, not the grandma wearing the necklace...everyone cracking up at Priscilla.

Maid of Honor is the kind of movie that had Mindy talking most of the way through it. Very predictable. Patrick Dempsy...cute...female lead...cute...predictable. As bad as Mindy thinks...I'm not sure. I asked her what some better romantic comedies are. She named off all the heavy hitters; Crossing Delancy, When H meet S, Mystic Pizza, Moonstruck, Sleepless in Seattle...

I said, "No, think smaller, not the big time, the lighter forgettable romantic comedies..."

She said that the romantic comedy was a "desolate genre".

I said, "That's grim."

Here is a partial list of light romantic comedies that are not heavy hitters, but we feel are better than Maid of Honor:

  • Failure to Launch
  • Legally Blonde
  • Sweet Home Alabama (and while we are talking about Reese)
  • The one where she is in a coma and can only be seen by that hot guy that Irene and I love and they are in San Fransisco so it makes us homesick..... I remember, Just Like Heaven.
  • I have an Adam Sandler sweet tooth, so I like, Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates. Mindy can't get his Saturday Night Live years out of her mind.
  • Mindy likes Miss Congeniality. I'm not convinced it falls under the heading 'light romantic comedy.' Again she replied, 'desolate genre'.

We both wish there was some way to have readers post feedback on the blog-o-sphere, because we would love to hear other people's ideas of great light forgettable romantic comedy. Send me your ideas however you can!

PS We missed you Suzanne!

No comments: