Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Some Semblance of Normalcy

It has been a fantastic false spring here in the North.  The sun has shined every day.  Even on the days that have seen snowfall, the afternoons have been reminiscent of Taos; the sun has come out and the warmth has melted the snow and given the ducks plenty of mud to muck around in.

This weather has been a gift to my psyche.  It has allowed me to not feel forced to focus on the endless Homer grey and instead to continue work on finding creative solutions to the problems which persist. 

Problems?  In the Greear Family?  I know.  It just doesn't seem possible and yet...  For instance, the least of our troubles, housework.  Not one person in the house is attached to keeping it up.  We have talked about the problem at length.  We have all agreed that we must all take responsibility for not living in squaller.  Last night I created job charts and we talked about the incentive program.  A week ago we agreed that the incentive was $2.50 a week.  Last night, when in a teacher's voice, trying to be reflective of conversations past, I asked what their incentive was,  Falcom said, "$2.00!"  Marina said, "$10.00" and Willie said, "You know, whatever." 

Vince was shaking his head in frustration.  I laughed and said, "Another perfect example of the Greear Family dynamic."  He began laughing and agreed.

Problems at school have begun to reappear.  I am mildly anxious about it.  OK!  Maybe more than a bit anxious.  One good thing though is that I have actually been hearing from the school that Falcom has been in negative interactions and that things are being done about it.  This is a positive step.  Meanwhile I continue investigating all avenues of future possibilities. 

This includes the trip to California we will be making in July for him to attend a week long vocal intensive program at the Oakland School of Performing Arts.  He has applied for a scholarship which he will interview for next week.  I hope this week of singing with other people who can sing broadens his horizons and builds self esteem.  I will keep all of you posted.

Meanwhile, the Brownie troop has been very busy.  Last week we took a field trip to the McNeil Canyon fire hall where we were given a full tour and access to the facility.  This is a picture of Marina in the very ambulance that I visited during my truck accident two years ago!  What delight I felt when she stuck her head out and relived the entire event for all the children and adults who were standing around.  Thank you darling for displaying your amazing talent at recall and outstanding verbal skills!  Oh, yes, then to relive the electrical fire that the ambulance had while I was strapped down to a board and laying in there alone, watching, as it filled with smoke.  Thank you Marina.

That Saturday we were off to the Women of Science Girl Scout event in Kenai.  The girls saw presentations by women scientists.  Below is a photo of Marina creating a rocket with the Challenger Learning Center staff.
 Afterwords, we drove to the Nikiski Pool where the girls spent their cookie money on fun filled four hours of non stop sliding, splashing, and swimming.  Thanks troop for being such a great bunch of super fun girls.
 Whose birthday was going on while I was tromping our troop all over the Peninsula?  That would be Vince.  Another year rolls by, and once again his adoring wife comes up with no special horn blowing celebration.   Fortunately, Maygen made him a fantastic maple cheesecake and Nikki, Jason, and Valda were able to join us for a smashing Sunday dinner.

My birthday celebration problems are not due to my lack of caring or disinterest in birthdays.  Oh no!  I spent the day brainstorming what to do for the guy.  During our Girl Scout field trip my Boat Captain friend, Beezer, suggested we stop at every bar on the way back to Homer and pick Vince up a drink chip.  I thought this would be a funny gift, letting him know that I was indeed thinking of him, but Mrs. Middleton felt that this would be very unbecoming behavior for a car full of Girl Scouts.  I am so fortunate to have her as a moral compass!


We did have a great celebration and enjoyed the company of long time friends, new friends and cute babies.

Another hour has floated by.  I must stand up from the computer and get out to walk in the sunshine.  This is Homer!  And, like all things, I must enjoy it while I have it...

No comments: